The Asylum Seeker Advocacy Project (ASAP) is a dynamic and mission-driven nonprofit organization that has over 300,000 asylum-seeking members across the United States, with thousands more members joining each week. Despite ASAP’s intense growth over the past couple of years, we remain a small, close-knit team with a start-up mindset and the ability to adapt quickly to new challenges.
The Director of Human Resources and Hiring would join ASAP’s collaborative 4-person operations team. They would work closely with the co-founders of ASAP, who are very active in the operations space and know how essential the work is to the organization’s overall success. ASAP also has expert board members and a strong network of contractors in the operations space, including a Professional Employer Organization (PEO), an Accountant, and an IT Contractor.
Location & Hours
Remote workplace, location flexible in the United States. This is a full-time position.
Salary & Benefits
Salary for this position is commensurate with qualifications, with a range of $80,000 – $120,000. Candidates eligible for the highest end of the range will have multiple years of experience as the head of HR for a team of at least 15 employees.
ASAP cares deeply about our employees’ wellbeing and works to support their lives inside and outside of the workplace, offering more than 45 days of paid time off per year between vacation, personal, holiday, and sick days. Our excellent benefits package includes health insurance coverage at no cost, 401K matching, and 12 weeks of paid parental leave.
- Lead sensitive HR processes involving a high level of discretion, including staff onboarding, offboarding, leave, promotion, discipline, and termination. This would include preparing and submitting the required paperwork to our PEO.
- Run payroll accurately & on time every 2 weeks.
- Coordinate and incrementally improve hiring processes, including responding to the hiring email inbox and scheduling interviews and test assignments.
- Maintain careful HR records and regularly review and update HR policies, in coordination with ASAP’s Executive team, general counsel, and PEO.
- Coordinate and lead staff meetings and social activities, including weekly all staff meetings, staff appreciation, professional development, and staff retreats.
- 4+ years of previous human resources experience preferred; however, we encourage all candidates who feel comfortable being the lead decision-maker on high-level, sensitive HR decisions.
- Exceptional logistical skills and attention to detail.
- Creative and strategic problem solver.
- Ability to adapt to change and be a team player in a fast-paced environment.
- Commitment to ASAP’s mission and vision.
Additional Helpful Qualities
- Experience and familiarity with tech with some or all of: Apple, GSuite, Dropbox & Slack.
- Spanish language fluency and other language skills.
How to Apply
ASAP is an equal opportunity employer. ASAP strongly encourages asylum seekers, immigrants, Black people, Indigenous people, and people of color (BIPOC), Latinx people, people with disabilities, LGBTQ people, women, first-generation college students/professionals, and all marginalized individuals to apply, and recognizes the unique and valuable skills that such applicants can bring to this work.